Categories
Insurance for Pets

The garden of all dangers for our animals – Insurance for Pets





The garden of all dangers for our animals – © vgajic – Getty Images

The generous sun of these past and future days gladly takes us to our gardens. We roll up our sleeves, we redo a little beauty in this green space, we make the skin of the unwanted, we give the plants a boost, we trim our hedges, … and this leisure is very often shared with our animals. company. But there, it is important to be extra vigilant because the garden harbors many dangers for our animals, we never think about it enough. Also, in this time of confinement, we avoid at all costs having to go to the veterinarian. We therefore raise our attention to avoid the bad scenario and to fully enjoy this very pleasant moment. Bénédicte Flament draws up for us a small inventory of all these dangers and gives us good tips to pamper our little adored furballs.

The garden of all dangers for our animals

Garden tools

Pruners, hedge trimmers, rakes, … are all sharp tools that represent a danger in itself. There is a risk of mechanical injury and therefore we opt for a high storage or in a closed place.

Toxic products: garden maintenance

Fertilizers for plants, anti-slug granules, weedkillers,… cause intoxication by ingestion. The sThe symptoms are variable: vomiting, apathy, diarrhea, nervous symptoms. So here too, we opt for high storage or closed space but also, we prefer organic products such as for example: weedkiller based on salt and vinegar.

Death to rats

Death to rats (or rodenticide) is by far one of the most dangerous products for dogs. Rat death is an anticoagulant product and there are two generations of products. With first generation products (example: coumafene or “Warfarin”), it had to be ingested several times for it to be toxic. With second generation products, it only takes one time.

Be careful if you live or go to the countryside in a corner known to be frequented by foxes, voles, field mice: we use a lot of rat-rat seeds in these places. Rat death is also used in the form of blocks in wetlands. The municipalities organize their rat extermination campaign every year in the spring.

Dogs poisoned by rat death are often attracted to the oats used in these products. At home (the most common case), poisonings are generally less serious because dog owners use less. While outside, it is more often fatal, always because of the quantities used.

Rat death is also real filth because its effects are delayed. Symptoms appear 3 days (sometimes a week) after poisoning and it is too late.

These symptoms are mainly: vomiting, difficulty breathing, heart palpitations, thinning of the mucous membranes, swelling of the belly and blood in the urine, stool, gums, nose etc. Dogs poisoned by rat death generally become listless.

Not always fatal, rat poisoning can be treated when you have seen your dog use it. A dog can eat a tiny bit of rat dead and show no symptoms. But you never know for sure how much he has consumed and the symptoms do not appear immediately: call your veterinarian.

The same is true for other pesticides and insecticides (anti ants, fly killers, etc.)

Ride…

When you go for a walk too, be aware that these products are also used in these green spaces, in parks, they are potential sources of danger for your animal.

Slugs, snails and poisonous plants

Slugs and snails in the garden or on a walk

Snails and slugs can transmit a disease called angiostongilosis. This cardiovascular disease is spreading throughout France where the presence of a few cases is reported.

It is not always easy to watch your dog carefully, especially in a garden. From then on, you see him playing with snails or slugs, or even eating them, try to keep him away or even reprimand him. This will prevent him from getting an infection of the angiostongylus vasorum that these animals can carry. After just 5 to 6 weeks, adult worms locate in the right heart or the pulmonary artery and its ramifications.

Dogs affected by this disease, manifest a fatty and quintous cough, unconsciousness, then installs dyspnea and cardiac disorders which correspond to a right heart failure with swelling of the jugular, ascites, hydrothorax and hydropericardium.

A serious infection can cause severe dyspnea, global heart failure that progresses even after the puppies die. There are also atypical ocular, cutaneous and renal forms.

To identify the nature as well as the cause of the disease, it suffices to make a parasitological diagnosis which is made on the faeces in order to highlight larval forms. Another solution for diagnosis is bronchoalveolar lavage. Through chest radiology, right ventricular cardiomegaly and lung damage are observed. It is a serious illness with a rather reserved prognosis. To treat it, use specific antiparasitics.

Plants and plantations can also be treated against slugs and / or snails. Only, the products used can provide a danger for dogs and cats and their absorption can undoubtedly lead to poisoning. It is therefore recommended to treat places inaccessible to animals and store them as far away from animals as possible.

Oongiostrongilosis, like poisoning, is a treatment that is covered by dog ​​and cat health insurance.

Poisonous plants

Rhododendrons, Yew, Oleanders, Lily of the valley, etc. Bells of lily of the valley, for example, are very toxic to our animals. Putting them in balconies positioned high up so that they do not have easy access is one solution.

Above all, seek advice from your veterinarian to find out which plants are a real danger for your pets. Make your garden a little corner of paradise for you but also for your animals.

Vivacity Newsletter

Receive every Friday morning events, contests and news from Vivacité.

OK
        Don’t show again ×