The emergency services were turned out en masse on Thursday night for a serious fire in an apartment building on Antwerpsesteenweg in Hoboken. Three people inhaled too much smoke, one dog was resuscitated on the spot. The damage is extensive.
The police were alerted by several residents about the raging fire around 1.30 am. The flames were also visible on the city cameras. The fire had started in a beauty salon on the ground floor where renovations were in progress. According to the Antwerp police, there are no indications of malicious intent.
The fire threatened to spread to an adjacent building, but all in all, the fire brigade had the situation under control fairly quickly. When the emergency services arrived, several residents had already come out. Three of them breathed too much smoke and were taken to the UZA in Edegem. They are not in mortal danger.
The commercial property has been completely burned out, four apartments above there is heavy smoke and soot damage. Those houses are currently uninhabitable. The owner of the property came on site and offered shelter for the affected residents.
The emergency services were also able to rescue some pets. A dog was given chest compressions and oxygen on site and was taken to a shelter in Brasschaat for care. Two domestic cats were also taken care of.