Unfortunately your dog can get sick, here are the main canine diseases and pathologies, their symptoms and remedies:
Welcoming a new animal at home is always an emotional moment. But you have to keep in mind that like humans, these are vulnerable to specific diseases depending on the species.
So, as soon as your four-legged friend arrives, you must make sure to do so vaccinate against pathologies common at your veterinarian. They are often the cause of the main diseases of dogs.
Symptoms ofcontagious hepatitis are very similar to distemper and can be avoided through vaccination. The suffering animal may display all or part of the following signs:
– A high temperature that can exceed 40 degrees
– Loss of appetite and therefore weight
– Swollen throat
– Abundant diarrhea with blood loss
– Opacity of the cornea which becomes more blue.
Fearsome, the distemper causes in dogs symptoms that cannot escape the vigilance of its owner. Be careful if you detect the following clues: this viral infection is very contagious !
– High fever
– Purulent discharge from the eyes and nostrils
– Lack of appetite, weight loss
– Corneal opacity for the most severe cases
This disease can be prevented by having your dog vaccinated.
Parvovirus is a very serious infectious and viral disease but fortunately avoidable if the dog is vaccinated. Its symptoms are:
– Strong dehydration
– Hemorrhagic diarrhea
– Total loss of appetite
– Hyperthermia (increased body temperature)
This disease is very common in puppies bought in high density dog communities. As with the previous ones, you will save your pet a lot of pain by vaccinating upon acquisition (if it is not done yet).
– Strong, faint cough with threat of pneumonia
– Inflammation of the pharynx
– Purulent discharge from the nostrils
– Draining of the eyes
– Lack of appetite and sadness
Leptospirosis is a highly contagious disease between dogs and is transmitted by rat droppings or polluted water. It results in the following signs:
– Yellowish diarrhea then hemorrhagic
– Heart failure
– Renal failure
– Yellow mucous membranes
Well known, rabies is probably the first disease that we spontaneously associate with dogs. The rabies vaccine will relieve you of this risk causing the following symptoms:
– Access of fury
– Profuse salivation
– Need to bite
– Paralysis of the pharynx in the final phase
Unfortunately for the animal, death is near when symptoms appear.
This disease, also called tick fever, commonly appears in the fall. Very virulent, it is characterized by:
– Dark red urine
– Signs of anemia, jaundice (jaundice)
– Loss of appetite
If you see these symptoms in your dog, run to your vet! He will administer it two injections 48 hours apart who can save your dog if it’s not too late.
Leishmaniasis and heartworm disease
These two infections are common around the Mediterranean and in tropical countries. They are transmitted by mosquitoes.
Symptoms of heartworm disease (heartworms):
– Fatigue during exercise
– Cough that settles
– Cardiac disorders which can cause secondary fainting.
– Lesions in other organs.
Regarding the leishmaniasis, symptoms are many and the dog may not experience them all. However, the most common are:
– Weight loss of the face muscles
– Lack of appetite
– Cutaneous symptoms (the hairs fall especially at the level of the head and one observes fine and very abundant dandruff).
The dog can contract the tetanus during a walk for example. 5 to 20 days after, we can then observe the following signs:
– Impossible to open the mouth
– Abnormal contractures
– Abnormally erect and stiff ears
– Abnormal salivation
– Rigid approach
If you notice that your pet shows these signs, you should get to your vet right away. Tetanus is of course a disease against which your dog is normally vaccinated automatically if you have acquired it in a pet store.
For more information, don’t hesitate to consult our glossary of dog diseases
To protect your pet, also consider insuring it with a animal health insurance