A sick dog can express a whole series of symptoms, which alert your master. It is very important to always monitor the health of a dog, and to be alert to the slightest symptom of illness. And for good reason: the healing of a sick dog is always faster when the disease is detected at the earliest.
Sick dog: recognize the signs of a pathology
A dog that suffers from health problems will not necessarily express it to its owner. Therefore, it is important to pay attention to the general condition of the dog, and to watch for any symptoms. Any attentive master can spot a health problem in his dog.
Detection of disease in dogs
If there is any doubt about the health of an animal, a detailed examination is necessary. Here are the essential steps to know if a dog is sick:
- The taking temperature : the temperature of a dog must be between 38 and 39 °. Beyond that, the dog is feverish, which may indicate that his body is fighting an infection.
- Thestool exam : dog’s droppings are a valuable indicator of good digestion. Difficulty in defecating, unusual or unnaturally colored stools, or chronic diarrhea may emphasize an allergy or digestive disorder in the dog.
- Theurine exam : dark urine may indicate a kidney problem. Likewise, excessively regular urine can indicate diabetes.
- Themucosal examination : the mucous membranes of the dog are also indicators of health disorders. The dog’s mucous membranes (around the gums) should be pink. The lining of the eye (inside the eyelid) should be white. A yellow or overly pale lining may indicate a liver problem or blood disorder.
- The weight : the silhouette of a dog can also inform you about his health. Weight loss or obesity in dogs can indicate different eating or health problems.
Symptoms of a Dog’s Illness
The majority of dog diseases cause one or more symptoms, which can alert the master.
The most common symptoms in sick dogs are: listlessness; weightloss ; loss of appetite ; vomiting; diarrhea; Respiratory problem ; moans (pain); bleeding; cough; tremors and skin problems.
These symptoms are more or less obvious or dazzling. Certain illnesses can lead to weight loss over several months, which therefore does not immediately stand out, hence the importance of regularly monitor the dog’s health and to carry out a routine veterinary visit at least once a year.
Good to know : Any sudden change in a dog’s behavior should alert you. For example, if a calm dog suddenly becomes aggressive or agitated, this may indicate that he is suffering.
Consult a veterinarian
There are many infectious diseases in dogs. However, examining simple symptoms is not always enough to diagnose a disease.
For example, a dog who vomits can suffer from simple food poisoning as well as from a serious illness, such as canine parvovirus. It is therefore important to consult a veterinarian when you think your dog is sick.
Puppies are the first victims of diseases because their body is still fragile. This is why it is essential to carefully monitor the health of his puppies.
When a puppy expresses the first symptoms of an illness (vomiting, cough, etc.), consult a veterinarian immediately. Indeed, a puppy’s health is very fragile, and some lightning diseases can cause death within hours. It is therefore better not to take any risks.
For adult dogs
For an adult dog, veterinary consultation is recommended in the case of symptoms:
- Lightning : If the dog’s state of health drops suddenly, consult a veterinarian immediately.
- Chronicles : If a dog regularly suffers from the same disorders (for example a drop in energy or digestive disorders), have it examined by your veterinarian.
- Worrying : in case of alarming symptoms (tremors, bleeding, etc.), consult the veterinarian urgently.
Good to know : It is not necessarily necessary to take an adult dog to the veterinarian as soon as diarrhea appears. However, be alert to the health of any dog that suffers from one or more symptoms, even if they appear mild.
In case of doubt about the dog’s state of health, or worsening of its symptoms, it is better to consult a veterinarian as soon as possible.
Protect your dog from disease
To conclude on the subject, remember that there are simple actions to protect your dog from a large number of diseases:
- Make sure the dog is vaccinated as soon as necessary.
- Consider applying antiparasitics for dogs, to avoid any disease related to fleas, ticks and other parasites.
- Choose one quality food for the animal, so as to strengthen its organism.
- Consult your veterinarian at least once a year for a health check.
These various precautions can limit the risk of health problems in dogs, and ensure their well-being.