Catégories
Insurance for Dogs

He dies from a rare infection after a lick of his dog – Health Insurance


ABC Health

Updated:

save

A 63-year-old man died in Germany after contracting a rare infection after receiving a lick of your dog. The case, which is not the first of its kind that describes the medical literature, has been published this month in the European Journal of Case Reports in Internal Medicine.

Infections caused by Capnocytophaga canimorsus bacteria, which is present in the gums of dogs and cats, are rare. The most serious and fatal s occur most frequently in patients with immunodeficiency, splenectomy or alcohol abuse, who have suffered a bite.

The medical team that treated this patient in Bremen describes how the man developed flu-like symptoms that resulted in severe sepsis and withering purple. It was discovered that he was infected with C. canimorsus without a bite injury and showed no immunodeficiency or any other typical predisposition. Despite intensive care, their conditions deteriorated and died of a multi-organ failure.

Doctors who have reported the case recommend pet owners with banal symptoms, for example, similar to those of the flu, to urgently seek medical advice when those symptoms begin to be unusual. From a medical point of view, they consider that Capnocytophaga canimorsus infection should be taken into account and start antibiotic treatment immediately in the presence of fulminant purple although there are no animal bites or immunodeficiency.